Sometimes, it’s the little things that matter most.
No, I’m not talking about the little profound things like holding the ones you love and making carefree, simple memories as a family. Oh sure, there’s value to be found in those moments, but before you dig that deep, sometimes you just have to stay afloat.
For a new mom, it’s often the very little things that often set the course.
When my Little Dude was born at the end of October of 2016, my husband and I managed to sneak out a week later to early vote and grab coffee. The whole time, I was weepy – okay, I was bawling my eyes out – because of this “beautiful moment” we were sharing on this beautiful day. And everything was just so beautiful.
Possibly my hormones were a bit out of whack. But man, it felt good to get out!
A mom in one of my favorite Facebook groups recently pointed out that in the early days, sometimes something as simple as putting on lipstick – even if you’re going nowhere – can make you feel put together and ready to take on the day.
I loved that idea! I wish I’d tried it when Little Dude and Tank were itty bitty. (No joke, I actually tried it the other day anyway, and it did make me happier!)
What are some other ways a new mom can find her normal again? Here are some easy ideas I came up with (Most of these can be done with or without baby in tow):
- Sit in your favorite coffee shop and enjoy a coffee while people watching.
- Stroll the mall and window shop.
- Take a walk.
- Take a drive – even if you have nowhere important to go.
- Wear something that makes you feel pretty.
- Paint your nails and/or toenails.
- Style your hair.
- Make a vision board.
- Print some photos and hang a photo collage where it’ll make you smile each day.
- Make up a pitcher of infused water to sip from all day.
- Put a vase of colorful flowers on the counter.
- Have a dance party in your kitchen. Blast your favorite music.
- Brew a good pot of coffee/tea and sip it from your favorite mug.
- Diffuse (baby safe) essential oils.
- Stretch or do yoga. You can even do this right in your own living room!
- Get a pedicure. Can’t get out? Buy some epsom salts and have a foot soak at home!
- Call a friend to chat.
- Find a pretty planner/notebook to record your plans/ideas in. Bonus: Use colorful pens!
- Visit a museum.
- Visit an indoor play place. Chat with the other moms while your kids play.
- Find a local craft show/farmer’s market to stroll through.
- Have a picnic lunch. Don’t feel like going out? Have it in your backyard!
- Treat yourself to a new something: pen, lipstick, hair color – something that will make you feel like a fresh start.
- Start a daily affirmation journal.
I tried to keep everything on the list low-key and low-cost so they’re easy ideas to incorporate into days that might seem chock-full of stress. Did I miss anything? Did I inspire you? Drop your own ideas in the comments below!